American Flag Craft For Preschool
Come and have a look at how to make an American flag craft for Preschool. Each child will make his/her own flag. It requires some help from the teacher. It helps to have one adult for each four children when it's time to glue on the stripes.
Materials for American flag craft for Preschool:
- One 9" by 11" (22.5 cm. by 27.5 cm) piece of red construction paper (precut)
- Six 3/8" by 11" (1.5 cm. by 27.5 cm) white construction paper strips (precut)
- Rubber cement or paste
- One 5" by 5" (12.5 cm. by 12.5 cm) white construction paper square
- Crayons, especially royal blue
- Silver or white stars, the kind you lick before you stick them on, about 25 per child
- Give each child a red construction paper rectangle.
- Have them put their names on the back (or do it ahead of time).
- Before giving each child 6 white construction paper strips, demonstrate how to put paste on the back of a strip and paste it to the red square.
- Demonstrate all six, showing how to leave a strip of red between each white strip, or
- The teacher and helpers will put strips of rubber cement, one at a time, on the children's red rectangles and the children will put their white strips on, one at a time.
- Don't worry! Extra glue rubs off. If the strips are not equally distant from each other, it doesn't matter! If a child fits in only 5 strips, it's O.K.!
- Have the children color the white squares blue.
- Paste the blue squares onto the flag, in the upper-left corner.
- Lick and paste stars on the blue square. It doesn't matter how many!
- Let the child decide! When they're older, they'll learn how many stars should go on and why.
Return from American flag craft for Preschool to Preschool Crafts
Return from American flag craft for Preschool to New Kids Crafts Homepage